Cleveland Real Estate News

The Buzz on 21st Century Cleveland

Cleveland Real Estate News random header image

The Silver Line Helps Cowell & Hubbard Building Get a New Life

December 14th, 2007 · 13 Comments

Do you remember the Cowell & Hubbard jewelry store at 13th and Euclid? Crain’s Cleveland reports  (and Stan Bullard writes) The Playhouse Square Foundation has purchased the building. (The Realtor® in me saw the sale price: $1 mil for 43,000 square feet and said hmmm, prime location Downtown and it sold for a million dollars….puts other asking prices in perspective for me).

One of the things this building might be used for is to further the idea of a Design District along that route. I blogged about that CSU Forum here. Art Falco is PlayHouse Square Foundation’s President:

“….Mr. Falco noted the city of Cleveland’s Civic Vision 2000 master plan identifies the corner as a potential housing site. He said the storefront also gives the building a possible showroom for a consumer products or industrial design firm, which would be in keeping with a use envisioned by promoters of a Design District on Euclid.

Ned Hill, vice president for economic development at Cleveland State University who is involved in the Design District effort, confirmed that the Cowell & Hubbard building would be of interest to his group as a location for design talent or a showroom….”

There were other bidders on the building…..the buzz seems to be that the Silver Line route, the planned streetscaping, and the general master plan for the area created the energy for the purchase.   Peace out – 3C

Tags: Uncategorized

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jean // Aug 1, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I was googling for info on Cowell and Hubbard’s on Euclid. My great-grandmother’s brother was Addison Hubbard of that firm. My mother has fond memories of visiting the Hubbard family as a child. Uncle Add would send over a limousine to pick them up, when they visited their grandmother in Cleveland in the early twentieth century, c. 1918, perhaps. What’s being done with the store now? I like the look of the plans. Were they able to pull it off? Thanks, Jean, Urbana IL

• 2 Carole Cohen // Aug 1, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Hi Jean, very nice to meet a Cowell and Hubbard family member! I know that Playhouse Square did purchase the building, I know that it is still supposed to part of the planned Design District, and that the gorgeous building would be one of the places a Design District tenant would lease. They needed a certain number of people to commit to going there (five? six? around that number) and then they can move into the next phase. At least that was the plan last time I investigated, which admittedly has been over a year ago…but after this post was written.

I’ll see what I can find out by talking to a few people. If in fact all these plans do move forward, there would be another creative, artistic use for the building, which would be nice. I remember pressing my nose to the Cowell and Hubbard storefront window as a young person, thinking the most beautiful jewelery in the world was inside that store! I’ll definitely do some investigating and see what I can ferret out by the end of the week.

I don’t know how quickly things move in Urbana, but most plans here have 100 phases and take years to come to fruition. Okay, I overstate a bit, but you get my meaning. I’m visualizing the limousine, turn of the century style, what a great story!

• 3 Carole Cohen // Aug 7, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Jean, imagine this, I’ve left two phone messages and so far no call backs! I am determined, however, to find out more about the plans for your family’s building.

I must have been under a rock, however, because I had no idea the original motivation was to give our Amish country furniture builders a better marketplace for their goods. When they had the initial ‘festival’ this Summer, I thought, how quaint. I had no idea ! The designs are going to have to be a bit more 21st Century to make it zing, at least that’s my opinion.

As soon as I get an answer (regardless of the answer) about the C and Hubbard building, I will blog about it.

• 4 cm.com // Jan 31, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I run across you in the strangest places. Just googled Zach bruell’s new placeyear and there youwere were!

• 5 Carole Cohen // Feb 10, 2012 at 8:22 pm

:-) we are destined to have these mind meetings!

• 6 Robert Bates // Jun 26, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I hope this gets through. My name is Robert Bates in Louisville, KY. My fathers side of our family is from Cleveland and we are doing some checking but are confident we are related to the Hubbards. The connection is Bates-Hubbard, and potentially Bartow. (my Grandfather and Fathers middle name)

How did I get here? I have a family heirloom that was produced in/by the Cowell Hubbard jewelers. It is an intricate letter opener with the head of a woman on it with flowers and long hair. The initials LHB are on the front. It is dated Dec 25, 1901 on the back and is stamped “sterling 748″. Incidentally, I believe I had a Great Uncle Stirling Hubbard – possibly married to an Elizabeth “Betty”.

If this means anything to either of you ladies, please send me an email. My cousing and I are trying to firm up the connection.

Thanks in advance. I hope to hear from you

• 7 Robert Bates // Jun 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Sorry, I should have asked for a response since my email is not posted.

• 8 press release distribution // Oct 2, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you might be a great
    author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and may come back
    from now on. I want to encourage you to continue
    your great work, have a nice evening!
    press release distribution´s last [type] ..press release distribution

• 9 wilderness lodge // Jun 15, 2014 at 11:13 am

Something as simple as your stance will be tweaked and corrected by your trainers in Thailand.
    There are lots of types of camping and hiking adventures to choose from.
    He’ll point you toward the head of the Military Police, Boyd,
    and a corrupt quartermaster, Contreas. During this time kids can do what they want- Go swimming, canoeing, catch frogs or
    just read a book. s needs before deciding to send him or her
    to a particular camp. Does the camp have a more military or strict atmosphere, with uniforms, drills, and commanders.
    Eco activities for kids should be an inherent part of every
    childhood, and these camps provide these kinds of opportunities.
    Students can convert this hobby to a lucrative profession later
    on in their life. One of the greatest aspects of summer camps are the friendships your
    child will make. Choose books, prizes, movie clips–and whatever else you choose to use–connected to this theme.

Stop by my blog post – wilderness lodge
    wilderness lodge´s last [type] ..wilderness lodge

• 10 facial plastic surgeon boise idaho // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:54 am

In December 2012, she was half way through her reconstructive
    procedure and has since become a symbol of hope for women suppressed by the Taliban, urging
    women to “never give up and don’t lose hope,” that
    “what happened, it’s part of me, part of my life and its all the time in my mind and with me. And a proficient plastic surgeon with a lot of experience, can take that even further. Furthermore, you need to really feel comfortable with the plastic surgeon you decide on.

Check out my blog; facial plastic surgeon boise
    idaho

facial plastic surgeon boise idaho´s last [type] ..facial plastic surgeon boise idaho

• 11 neighbors moving and storage bbb // Jul 2, 2014 at 11:56 am

When you go with selecting a properly credited relocation firm, make no mistake – they’re going to be following correct practices as well as safe guards to make sure your personal possessions show up
    safely and in good condition. When scouting for a good distance moving company, you’ll find that some of them offer
    services that you simply either don’t require or don’t want.
    This will enable them to bargain well and save
    money.

Feel free to surf to my page :: neighbors moving and storage bbb
    neighbors moving and storage bbb´s last [type] ..neighbors moving and storage bbb

• 12 dst motorsports // Jul 3, 2014 at 5:10 am

Typical ownerships in fee simple are single family homes and condominiums.
    Real Estate Investment – Myths and Realities. They color the atmosphere of the workplace, any workplace, making it more difficult to
    maintain standards’no one complains when the boss has an itchy trigger finger for the ‘firing’ gun; no one makes waves about substandard workplace safety or shoddy workmanship or cheaper building materials than specs
    require. Commoners and nobles alike arrived early to enjoy
    the naughty atmosphere. With many areas of the country still experiencing suppressed real estate markets, many houses
    and other buildings are selling at historically low prices.
    Meanwhile, earthquake aftershocks continue by the hundreds on the eastern Japan coast, putting the shaky survivors in fear of another tsunami.
    Unlike single-tenant investments, such as a single-family home,
    the vacancy risk with commercial properties is spread over several units.
    In addition to being full of interesting geological
    features, such as the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere,
    Death Valley National Park has an interesting mining history.
    Getting construction equipment on rent is a money-saving option. Sudden power failure can cause a lot of trouble to
    workers, who are in the middle of a building activity.

My web blog – dst motorsports
    dst motorsports´s last [type] ..dst motorsports

• 13 boys summer camp boca raton // Jul 20, 2014 at 3:56 pm

If your child already has a favorite sport, it is easy
    to find a sports camp that offers instruction or an opportunity to play that sport,
    and if your child likes many sports or doesn. Potatoes both mashed and
    boiled and rice were served in large bowls. You need a reason as to why you
    wish to lose the weight. “We are passionate about providing indoor-outdoor play and amenities that keep dogs happy and healthy. The recruit is taught eleven general orders and is expected to memorize them and execute responsibilities associated with them immediately. Frankly, there’s not much of a rush to do this at a low level, so you can just wait until you have the necessary points (you need to be able to clear out Nelson in the next mission, so you may have to wait a bit anyway). They have slowly realised it is part of me, who I am and it is now also my life as a coach. I remember stepping off the treadmill after running 8 miles, and my brain registered a little ‘poof. Flowers, foliage, earth, sand, rock and water offer exquisite photo opportunities as they form amazing natural patterns. You might even find ways to improve things that are working.

my weblog :: boys summer camp boca
    raton

boys summer camp boca raton´s last [type] ..boys summer camp boca raton